infected by radiation poisoning

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Aug 4 14:16:06 UTC 2011

Seems like an old and honored sense.  From the OED:

To imbue a person or thing with certain (esp.
bad) qualities; said either of the personal or material agent.

  1. trans. To affect, influence, or imbue with
some quality or property by immersion or infusion.
b. To impregnate or imbue with some qualifying
substance, or active principle, as poison, or
salt; to taint. Obs. or rare.  (1550 through 1853)

†2. To affect injuriously or unpleasantly; to
spoil or corrupt by noxious influence, admixture,
or alloy; to adulterate. Obs.  (1440 through 1693)

3. To impregnate or taint with deleterious
qualities; to fill (the air, etc.) with noxious
corruption or the germs of disease; to render
injurious to health.  [I.e., not only with germs.]  (1480 through 1885

4. a. To affect (a person, animal, or part of the
body) with disease; to communicate a morbific
virus or noxious germs so as to generate disease;
to act upon by infection or contagion. Also absol.  (c1386 through 1845)

[And then various senses less literally related to noxiousness or disease.]

Joel