(fairly) new (but unlisted) "benefits"

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 5 08:24:10 UTC 2011

A young person at work played this album for me when it first came out. Its
release was 1995, not 1992. I suppose she could have written the song
earlier than 1995.

I haven't listened to the song in a while, but I took the meaning as [best
friend] and the kicker [with benefits]. I should listen to it again.
However, from an interview of hers I read years ago, the alternative {best
[friend with benefits]} is also plausible: She stated that her and her band
members were having a contest to see who could have the most sex while they
were on tour.
(I'll have to look for the interview when I'm on a less-restricted
computer). I think it may have appeared in "Acoustic Guitar".

Very good songwriting IMHO. She is certainly talented enough to coin this
phrase. I tried a little searching on Google for the phrase, but the
bandwidth is clogged with info about the current, similarly-titled movie
"Friends with Benefits". I tried minusing out "film" and "movie", but it's
still quite a popular phrase. Any ideas on how to search for early
occurrences of the phrase?

Eric