"notorious" goes neutral

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Sun Aug 7 12:30:42 UTC 2011

Was she a native English speaker? Notorious in, for example, Portuguese
(notorio) just means widely/generally known, without any negative
implications.
DAD

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Jonathan Lighter

I should mention too that although the "Rape of the Sabine Women" was
alluded to in passing as something naughtily amusing, the numerous later
allusions to the absurdly staged fake "rape" whose planning occupies much of
the play were mostly or entirely replaced by the word "raid."  (E.g., more
or less, "What sort of a raid did you have in mind?")

Also, the character who played a fake Indian was referred to as an "Indian"
but later as "not really a Native American."

JL

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Jonathan Lighter