Follow-up on sluff - play hooky, slack off

Tue Aug 9 16:56:59 UTC 2011

Not being familiar with the meaning of "slough off its skin" for snakes, I don't have that connection. I can understand the etymological connection but have trouble seeing "sloughing off its skin" being a basis for something like "quit sluffing (off) and get back to work."

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA