support from, or for?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Aug 10 15:45:32 UTC 2011

In a NYTimes article yesterday on Texas Gov. Rick Perry's signal of
intent to enter the presidential race, I read:

"His name will not be on the ballot [of the Iowa Straw Poll
Saturday], but Americans for Perry ... has been urging supporters to
cast a write-in ballot for him.  That effort could erode support from
his rivals."

Even in the absence of any activity by Americans for Perry, I would
not expect that Perry would have had any support from his rivals (and
in passing, therefore nothing that could erode).  Shouldn't one use
"erode support *for* his rivals" here?

Joel