Follow-up on sluff - play hooky, slack off

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 12 15:17:38 UTC 2011

I have not been following this thread closely, but I can report, with
certainty, that "sluff" and "sluff off" was used by one of our bridge
players (a New Yorker) in 1985 (and years following, of course). He used it
both with and without "off" with _no change in meaning_. It's possible he
picked it up from reading bridge columns, as most of us learned to play
bridge in college, largely teaching each other, although some already knew
Hearts and/or Spades. But I did not get the sense that this was something
new for him.

VS-)