More on substituting

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Sun Aug 14 17:22:33 UTC 2011

On Aug 14, 2011, at 9:45 AM, Ron Butters wrote:

> Well, the reversal does not [completely miscommunicate information]. It takes next to no thought whatever to understand the utterance in question, which is probably why the editors ( if there were editors) did not notice the reversal.

what we're confronting here is a phenomenon i've called (on Language Log) "intransigence". Goncharoff and Lighter have their own variety of English, in which reversed "substitute" has no place.  so they're insisting on understanding other people's varieties in terms of their own, disregarding other people's clear intent -- essentially, intransigently *refusing* to understand. (this is uncooperative and inconsiderate as well as silly -- especially silly when the usage seems to be spreading fast in the U.S., in contexts well beyond its original British sporting context.)

(i don't *use* reversed "substitute" myself, but, like any reasonably cooperative person, i've figured out how to understand it.)

The Goncharoff-Lighter (and, earlier, Berson) objection to reversed "substitute" is the same as the objection to "double negation" as involving people's saying the opposite of what they mean, which mavkes it look like willful pig-ignorance.

potential ambiguity is part of what you're complaining about -- the very complaint leveled against some of the items on my list (most famously, "literally" and "hopefully").

(some of the others are labeled pleonastic.  but the peeve literature labels all of them as simply ungrammatical, and some writers then go on to say that that makes them incomprehensible.)

arnold