pearl-clutching

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Sun Aug 14 18:30:57 UTC 2011

On Aug 13, 2011, at 11:01 AM, Garson O'Toole wrote:

> Here is a citation in 1934 (probably) that may help to illuminate the
> genesis of the expression by providing a use of the phrase and the
> stylized gesture in a play.
>
> Title: Escape me never!: A play in three acts
> Author: Margaret Kennedy
> Publisher: W. Heinemann, ltd.
> Date: 1934
> (Google Books snippet view; Not verified on paper; Data may be inaccurate)
>
> [Extracted text from GB]
> The Butler enters, much dishevelled.
> Butler If you will excuse, my lady, there has been a thief.
> Lady M. [clutching her pearls] Good heavens!
> Butler A strange girl has been found in the Signorina's room.
> Sir Ivor A strange girl?
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=62fXr9nL1tcC&q=+dishevelled#search_anchor
> http://books.google.com/books?id=62fXr9nL1tcC&q=clutching#search_anchor
>
> The same author a few years earlier in 1930 (probably) used the same
> scene. The 1934 (probably) play may be some kind of rewrite...

lovely.  though i'm not sure if this should count as two occurrences rather than one.  but we've got a stage use for horror, surprise, or distress: dramatic, extravagant, histronic -- and feminine.  that would get us to extravagant gay male uses, playing with gender roles.

in any case: U.S. black usage, British and Canadian white usage.  i'll ask around on the lgbt Facebook group for other usage.

arnold