Throat singing

Mon Aug 15 02:19:09 UTC 2011

Looking at the countries where the eight ethnicities who practice throat singing live (according to the Altaic wiki, we have:

Tuvan, Mongolian, Kalmyk peoples: Russia, Mongolia, China
Khakas people: Khakassia, Krasnoyarsk Krai, Kemerovo Oblast, Tuva Republic
Altay people: Russia, mostly in the Altai Republic and Altai Krai
Buryat people: Buryatia Russia with smaller groups in Mongolia and China
Kazakh people: Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, China, Russia, Mongolia
Nanai people: Russia, China

I don't know enough of the geography to say with much confidence, but their geographic description sounds reasonable to me.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA