Tsuyu (dipping broth, 1914)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Aug 15 08:05:09 UTC 2011

--

I think the characters Victor Steinbok refers to which are constant are
the kana (phonetic symbols) "tsu", "yu" ... although katakana appear in

One might suppose that "tsuyu" = "soup/juice/sap/sauce/gravy/etc." is
originally the same Japanese word as "tsuyu" = "dew", just assigned
different kanji for different meanings/sub-meanings. As for the other
"tsuyu", the kanji mean "plum rain" or so and (AFAIK) the individual
pronunciations of these two kanji have no relation at all to "tsuyu",
they are just attached to "tsuyu" as a pair (jukujikun, I think). Again
this "tsuyu" could conceivably be basically/originally the same native
word as "dew".

However, Starostin's site shows two different Proto-Altaic antecedents
(for those who believe in Proto-Altaic), and three separate
Proto-Japanese words (all *tuju though), so I dunno.

http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/query.cgi?root=config&morpho=0&basename=\data\alt\japet

(enter [e.g.] <<tsuyu>> in the "Tokyo" box)

I guess one can forgive the writer for thinking the words are/were the
same: hard to prove otherwise, anyway.

-- Doug Wilson