"Cock"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 16 20:27:50 UTC 2011

>But if not, how do you account for its transmigration across the gender
line?

Wow! Argumentum ignoratio!

But one explanation might be a distinct etymon.

> It's no more unlikely than the historically attested fact that "prick" was
once a euphemism for "pintle."

Sure it is. Because neither "prick" nor "pintle" also meant "vagina' at the
same time. But perhaps I misapprehend the argument.

And do we know that "prick" was a euphemism rather than a vulgarism? (Not
that I'm sure it has any bearing on the issue of a unisex c-word.) OED calls
"prick" "coarse slang" but doesn't label "pintle."

JL