Aphorism: Mode passes; style remains. (Coco Chanel 1965) Question about French version

Tue Aug 16 21:43:34 UTC 2011

Thanks for your response Victor. The original post on this thread
included the aphorism "Fashions fade, style is eternal" attributed to
Yves Saint Laurent but searching further makes sense. (The punctuation
in these aphorisms varies. Sometimes a comma splice is used as noted
by Chris.) Another variant attributed to YSL "Fashion passes; style
remains" was listed in the first post.

The earliest YSL version I have evidence for is dated 1975 and is
listed in The Columbia Dictionary of Quotations:

Fashions fade, style is eternal.
YVES SAINT LAURENT (b. 1916). French couturier. Andy Warhol's
Interview (New York, 13 April 1975)

I do not know if the interview in Interview was conducted in French or
English because I have not seen this cite on paper.

In the 1966 novel "Lord Malquist & Mr. Moon" the prominent playwright