Google News Archive link is dead

Thu Aug 18 05:35:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 1:28 AM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Garson O'Toole wrote:
>
>> There is an option on the left side of the page to search in a custom
>> range within the Google News Archive, but I do not see the histogram
>> that was once bannered across the top of the page. Do any list members
>> know if the front-end that uses a graphical display of matches is
>> still available somewhere in the forest of links?
>
> Well, you can click "Timeline" in that "More search tools" menu in the
> left-hand column, but that's not exactly the same as the histogram
> that was on the old News Archive page -- it includes various other
> stuff, like web pages and Google Books results. I think that helpful
> news-only display is gone now.

And speaking of data visualization, the Google Books Ngram Viewer is
leaving Google Labs (which is being phased out anyway) and will be
incorporated directly into the Google Books display.

http://www.googlelabs.com/show_details?app_key=agtnbGFiczIwLXd3d3IVCxIMTGFic0FwcE1vZGVsGOnEuQIM

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer