"love it or leave it"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 19 18:58:38 UTC 2011

You're right about the short form, Wilson.

I'm only showing that the phrase existed long before VN, FWIW, IYKWIM. YBQ
(that's four in a row) recommends a look at earlier but far less similar
words from Dorothy Parker & Gus Kahn.

Also FWIW, my recollection is that "America: Love it or Leave it" came on
the national scene only as late as 1969.  It was the same year that
conservatives hijacked the American flag for their exclusive bumper-sticker
use.

But I digress:

1930 Dr. L. H. Beeler, Grove City College, in _Simpsons' Leader-Times_
(Kittanning, Pa.) (Oct. 29) 1 (NewspaperArchive): Secretary Davis says there
are six million aliens in this country who do not want to become American
citizens. They come here for three reasons: to spread propoganda [sic], to
exploit America, and to encourage financial assistance. If this country is
not good enough for them to make it their home, they should be sent back to
stay forever. They are working destruction against our institutions and
dismembering our ideals and destroying America. The solution to this problem
is not difficult - love it or leave it - be loyal or disappear.

Beeler was also disturbed by kids at the movies who cheered antisocial acts
and by movies that "catered to sex, disloyalty, the broken home, or
bootlegging."

JL