Dialect variation in the Times

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 22 18:30:19 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> William Charles Segar in 1940

That's the guy who drew "Popeye," right?

And who knew that the song was so recent?

Are the words to the Broonzy version those that Segar wrote? The words
to the Walter and the Derek versions differ  both from Broonzy and
from each other. And Walter sings "I've" and not "I"." I regret the
error.

As it happens, I've actually heard only Walter's version and the
mistitled "Keep" version. It has, needless to say, words different
from those of all other versions. IMO, the differences are all too
trivial to be worth citing.

Sadly, only the version attributed to Broonzy mentions Texas in its lyrics.

There's a song entitled "T-99" that's also found as "Tee-Nah-Nah."

When The Stones substutue "_hurt_ my nose open," for "_had_ …," are
they using a more-familiar-to-them idiom? Or did they just fuck that
one up, as they did with the Texas Afro-Rockabilly hit, "Linda Lu"?
--
-Wilson
-----