Dialect variation in the Times

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 23 15:44:56 UTC 2011

On Aug 23, 2011, at 7:00 AM, Eric Nielsen wrote:

> Here's the Charles Segar version:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuFjdHZgElw
>
> Very interesting: Segar's is a twelve bar blues. All the other
> versions (that I am familiar with) are eight bar blues. In fact, "Key to the
> Highway" is often given as an example of the eight bar form.
>
> Eric

That is quite different from those of the 200 versions I sampled, including the more prominent ones.  I ended up e-plunking down my $0.99 for one of the Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee versions (a very nice 5:12 cut from a "Blues Six-Pack"),  EP, which Sonny/Brownie introduce by thanking their friend for writing it—Big Bill Broonzy.  I imagine Segar must have ended up feeling a bit like Rodney Dangerfield.

LH