"cheek music", 1800, 1802

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 23 17:28:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM, George Thompson
<george.thompson at nyu.edu> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did it ever change to headlights? I might still get inclined to _knock the living daylights out of_ somebody.

I recall that from the very early '40's, as used in an East-Texas
grandparental warning WRT, e.g. the real world:

"If you don't heed me, you're going to get the living daylights
knocked out of you, out yonder!"

Otherwise, I'm entirely unfamiliar with the expression. Strange. But, of course,

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson
-----