"Antarctica's Ice _Flow_ Fully Mapped For the First Time" [NT]

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 23 17:34:10 UTC 2011

No, I believe, this is correct. The idea that glaciers "flow" is fairly
recent--a couple of decades. The pattern of that flow requires detailed
mapping over several years--the move fairly quickly, but often in
unpredictable directions and often intersecting. Greenland has been
studied fairly closely (that's where the "flow" was discovered, I
believe). But Antarctica has been more elusive. So the announcement that
complete ice "flow" has been mapped is a big deal. A complete map would
show a number of "currents".

The NASA picture on HuffPo (where I presume Wilson got his reference)
shows something more like watershed basins rather than something like
ocean currents.

VS-)