"dim <someone's> daylights", 1800

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 23 18:38:38 UTC 2011

I presume knock/dim/smash/beat/thrash are all equivalent in this context.

Sure enough, OED does have it under "daylight" as a /general/ case,
without specifying all the verbs:

>  4. pl. The eyes. Also in extended use of any vital organ. Also to
> beat, scare, etc., the (living) daylight(s) out of (a person), to
> beat, scare (a person) severely. slang.

The quotations include (some in past tense) "darken" (1752), "shake"
(1848), "pull" (1884), "shoot" (1923), "beat" (1944), "scare" (1951),
"belt" (1960). It easy to spot "smash" (1832), "crush" (1885), "pound"
(1880) and "knock" (1842) with "daylight". Others require a somewhat
closer inspection.

"He cum mighty nigh knockm' the /daylight out/ o' me last spring." (1866)

On the other hand, I disagree somewhat with George Thompson's comment:

> "Daylights" was a prizefighters' term for "eyes": _"dim her
> daylights."_ would mean "black her eyes".

Consider the 1854 "knock" quote (the author appears to be Thomas A. Burke):

http://goo.gl/F42J7
The Americans at Home. Ed. by Thomas Chandler Haliburton. Volume I. 1854
XV. The Way Old Bill Went Off. p. 166
> He was Justice of the Peace, held two or three posts of honour, and
> could knock daylight out of a turkey's eye two hundred yards with his
> favourite gun.

Also,

http://goo.gl/cUy0e
The Family Treasury of Sunday Reading. Ed. by Andrew Cameron.  London: 1860
The Redeemer's Tears. p. 34/1
> When any measure of religious thoughtfulness comes on, it takes all
> the daylight out of yonr life.

http://goo.gl/H6d0n
A Fair Maid. Volume 1. By Frederick William Robinson. 1889
p. 117
> He looked after her for an instant, even seemed disposed to call to
> her, as though there were further questions he would put to her before
> she left him; then he sat down on the seat under the porch, laid bis
> sunburnt hands upon his knees, and thought the subject out, and his
> pipe out, and, at last, the daylight out; for when he came back to
> himself, there were the deepening shadows of the night advancing, and
> only a red tint lingering in the sky away to the west of him.

If "daylight" was "eye", he would not have needed to "knock daylight out
of a turkey's eye". I've also spotted a couple of comments, in passing,
that referred to the daylight going out/dimming from someone's eyes
because of becoming drunk. It seems "daylight" is closer to
consciousness or a euphemism for life, life-force (hence "/living/
daylights"). It's also related to British "to see daylight(s) out of X".
Of course, the meaning might have evolved from representing actually
seeing daylight, to "projecting" daylight, i.e., awareness, to just
euphemistically referring to eyes. But the 18th century quotes certainly
don't use "daylight" to mean "eyes".

Then, there is this:
The History of Jemmy and Jenny Jessamy. Volume 1. By Eliza Fowler
Haywood. 1753
p. 218
> Dear sister, I beg you will shew miss Jessamy the letter your ladyship
> received since our coming down to Bath ; it is the duty of her friends
> to force open her eyes, as she seems obstinate to shut daylight out.

This seems to match Joel's quotation almost exactly, except for
replacing "dim" with "shut [] out".

     VS-)