as ... than ...

Spanbock/Svoboda-Spanbock spanbocks at VERIZON.NET
Wed Aug 24 07:05:27 UTC 2011

It seems to me that where the "as... than..." construction fails is in
the loss of the following distinction: "as... as..." is used when the
two terms are equal (e.g. "as much as"), whereas "more (or less, or
whatever)... than..." is used when the terms are unequal. I'd be happy
to say that the loss of meaning makes it incorrect.

The examples given below all seem to arise from a confusion because
both of the constructions are occurring in the same sentence. The only
times that I can recall having heard anyone use "as... than..." when
both constructions weren't occurring was in people for whom English
was a second language and whose native language was German. Maybe they
have a word that is similar to "than"?