down economy

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 24 13:43:39 UTC 2011

It's kind of a "depressed" economy, but they don't want to say that because

1. that sounds like an economic depression

2. strictly speaking, the economy isn't even "depressed"; it's just growing
very slowly and there's a lot of unemployment

3. "depressed" sounds too depressing

4. "depressed" has too many letters and syllables.

"Sluggish" is a frequent choice, but that also has too many letters and
syllables. What's more, "sluggish" implies limited, occasional progress,
whereas "down" suggests a dead stall. It sounds like your computer.  Only a
geek or something from the cloud can fix it.

But it's still less depressing than "depressed," which may suggest a
long-term condition.

JL