Nounjective?

Fri Aug 26 15:41:25 UTC 2011

Laurence Horn wrote:

> and why "substantive" wasn't good enough for the purpose

The term implies a noun being used as an adjective, frequently as a
dismissive epithet. This is the example I came across that provoked my
enquiry (there are numerous others online but none that I can find in
printed works):

2011 Observer (London) 21 Aug. (New Review section) 25/1 Now the first
parts of the first phase of its makeover by the Mancunian developers Urban
Splash, to whom the nounjective `hipster´ tends to attach itself, is
nearly complete.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words