Secret erotic life of lexicographers (Noah Webster 1896) (Samuel Johnson 1906)

Sat Aug 27 00:02:41 UTC 2011

Cite: 1896 April 21, Daily Iowa Capital, A New One by Chauncey, Page
6, Column 5, Des Moines, Iowa. (NewspaperArchive)

At a recent dinner in New York a new story was sprung by Chauncey M.
Depew. Speaking of the importance of humor, Mr. Depew declared that
Noah Webster, though a lexicographer, was humorist. "His wife,"
Chauncey went on to say, "caught him one day kissing the cook.

"'Noah,' she exclaimed, 'I'm surprised!'

"'Madam,' he replied, 'you have not studied carefully our glorious
language. It is I who am surprised. You are astounded.'"

In 1903 an attempt was made to cover up the scandal with an odd report
in a popular periodical.

Cite: 1903 September, Everybody's Magazine, With "Everybody's"
Publishers, A Surprising Letter, Page 419, Column 2, Volume 9, The
Ridgway-Thayer Company, New York. (Google Books full view)

A story is told of Noah Webster, the dictionary maker, who one day was
found by his wife at dinner without coat or collar while entertaining
two guests. His wife's sudden and unexpected return and entrance to
the room brought those present to their feet. "I am surprised," said
Mrs. Webster, And Mr. Webster rejoined, "My dear, I am surprised—you
are astonished."

http://books.google.com/books?id=mG0XAQAAIAAJ&q=%22or+collar%22#v=snippet&

Remarkably, Dr. Johnson was also caught in flagrante delicto; however,
the anecdote about the event was inexplicably delayed for more than a
century.

Cite: 1906 January, Midland Druggist [Interstate Druggist], Sense and
Nonsense, Page 446, Column 1, Volume 7, Number 5, Midland Publishing
Company, Columbus, Ohio. (Google Books full view)

The famous Dr. Johnson was discovered one day by Mrs. Johnson kissing
one of her serving maids.
"Why, Dr. Johnson," said his wife, "I am surprised."

"No," said the recreant husband,"that is not exactly right dear. I am
surprised; you are astonished!"

http://books.google.com/books?id=bclNAAAAMAAJ&q=recreant#v=snippet&

Garson