"critter"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Aug 27 17:01:41 UTC 2011

Worth more than a little, I think.  Googling one edition shows 4
instances of "critter".  From an 1852 edition, vol. 2, GBooks full view.

Topsy speaking of herself:  "I spects I's the wickedest critter in
the world."  [Surely this must have made the YBQ!  Or at least a
stage version.]  Page 50.

A master speaking of a slave: "Well, here's a pious dog ... Powerful
holy critter, he must be!"  Page 197.

Tom speaking of his master: "Ye poor miserable critter! ... there
an't no more ye can do! I forgive ye, with all my soul!"  Page 274.

Tom talking to George (another slave?) about (I believe) a master:
"O, don't---oh, ye mustn't! ... he's a poor mis'able critter! ... O,
if he only could repent, the Lord would forgive him now ..."  Page 281.

Use by both masters and slaves is interesting.  And I wonder if the
master's use can really be considered racial.

Joel