"Uncle Tomming"

Sat Aug 27 22:27:05 UTC 2011

The OED has Uncle Tomming with a first citation in 1947.
Uncle Toming n. (also Uncle Tomming)
1947    S. Lewis Kingsblood Royal x. 52   Why, you gold-digging,
uncle-tomming, old, black he-courtesan!

Here is a relevant cite in 1933:

Cite: 1933 March 18, The Pittsburgh Courier, Views and Reviews by
George S. Schuyler, Page 10, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (ProQuest)

Negroes responsible for the ballyhoo about conditions being so good
down South that Negroes who escaped should return there, are merely
Uncle Tomming in the hope that it will please the white folks.

There are many earlier instances of "Uncle Tomming" with multiple
overlapping senses. An "Uncle Tomming" troupe is a theatrical group
that performs "Uncle Tom's Cabin". "Uncle Tomming" also refers to
performing as part of such a troupe.

Garson