batter (or shooes, or the sun) "half a quarter high"

Mon Aug 29 05:29:39 UTC 2011

Here is an instance of  "half an eighth high" that might be useful in
formulating a hypothesis.

Title: He That Eateth Bread With Me
Author: Hersilia A. Mitchell Keays
Publisher: McClure, Phillips & Co., 1904

But listen - I'll make you forget all about my being only five feet
one inch and half an eighth high.

http://books.google.com/books?id=fooOAAAAYAAJ&q=eighth#v=snippet&

The book "He That Eateth Bread With Me" was also serialized in the
newspaper Jersey Journal and the phrase above appeared on July 14,
1906 on page 8 (GenealogyBank page 10).