One happy language!

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 31 22:29:01 UTC 2011

Well, I suppose a genuine "positivity bias" in English would mean great
publicity for our beloved language and a possible open-sesame for grant
money to compare it with, say, Mandarin.

The authors - all five of them - seem unable to conceive of the distinction
between a happiness bias in the structure of a language (perhaps a la
Sapir-Whorf) and an overall cultural preference to accentuate the positive
whenever possible.

As Chris and Victor observe, however, the assignment of subjective
hedonometric values to individual words is, er, fraught with difficulty.
Participants "rated their happiness in response to each isolation." The
researchers "chose words solely on frequency of use."  So, on a scale of 1
to 9, which word makes you happier: "Of" or "at"?  "A" or "the"?  "I" or
"its"?
"Beer" or "sleep"?  "Hurricane" or "eruption"?  If I asked you a week from
now, would your ratings be the same?

I see that the authors have also published on climatological and "social and
biological contagion models." I'm sure there's no need for concern,
however.

JL