dogfooding

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Dec 5 11:39:56 UTC 2011

It's at least a decade old. I recall it from when I first arrived in Silicon
Valley c. 1998. Around 2000 Microsoft aggressively promoted dogfooding among
its in-house developers, so you get a lot of hits on MS discussion boards
around that time. A more thorough search should turn up even older hits.

"We feel the pain as well as you do, SMS 2.0 Release and Sp1 lacked
tremendously, and this was due to poor testing and dogfooding."  David Baur,
"Sp2," microsoft.public.sys.admin, 27 April 2000

"On the positive side, MS seems to be dogfooding with the DD." Simon Davis,
"DD - How compelling a technology," microsoft.public.digitaldashboard, 10
January 2001

"As with most other software development, this kind of 'dogfooding' avoids
annoying stuff (missing features you intuitively look for, non-obvious
navigation methods, just plain 'spouse-incompatible' stuff, etc) getting
shipped to customers." Ted Harper, "Thompson/STB Analogue Comparison,"
aus.audio-video.home-cinema, 24 February 2001

--Dave Wilton