OT: Standardized state exams for high-schoolers

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 6 16:41:44 UTC 2011

That is an interesting Washington Post article.  A successful adult takes "his state’s high-stakes standardized math and reading tests" for 10th graders and finds the subject matter irrelevant.

 “I won’t beat around the bush,” he wrote in an email. “The math section had 60 questions. I knew the answers to none of them, but managed to guess ten out of the 60 correctly. On the reading test, I got 62% . In our system, that’s a “D”, and would get me a mandatory assignment to a double block of reading instruction.

He continued, “It seems to me something is seriously wrong. I have a bachelor of science degree, two masters degrees, and 15 credit hours toward a doctorate.

“I help oversee an organization with 22,000 employees and a $3 billion operations and capital budget, and am able to make sense of complex data related to those responsibilities.

“I have a wide circle of friends in various professions. Since taking the test, I’ve detailed its contents as best I can to many of them, particularly the math section, which does more than its share of shoving students in our system out of school and on to the street. Not a single one of them said that the math I described was necessary in their profession.

Moral of the story = academia can go awry.  Witness "new math" and "whole word" instruction.  My take is that phonetics is in that group.  That's why truespel phonetics was created, a notation in English that is infinitely more useful than academic phonetics.

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now Fl 9.
See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk