The years of UCal budget cuts are working! ("sign-up")

Hunter, Lynne R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 71700 lynne.hunter at NAVY.MIL
Thu Dec 8 01:09:44 UTC 2011

Although most editors would probably maintain that punctuation can be
more challenging than one might suspect and that (counterintuitively,
perhaps) a firm grasp on punctuation may come _after_ mastery of
numerous other aspects of grammar, the breaches you cite are so basic
that they're hard to excuse. What I'm wondering, though, is how you're
able to identify the malefactors as _native_ Southern Californians,
inasmuch as we have so many people from out of state and you've
evidently witnessed some of the infractions in impersonal situations
(e.g., signs on service trucks). On the other hand, it could be cheering
to think that Southern California (courtesy of its natives or not) is an
isolated outpost of illiteracy. My concern is that it's really not so
much worse here than anywhere else.

As for alumni associations not having paid editors, has _anybody_ had
them in recent times? Including, say, high-end department stores? One
indicator of the downward slide stands out: Appearing in the exclusive,
glossy Neiman Marcus Christmas catalog from around 2000, the ad copy for
one outrageously costly item of women's apparel touted it as a
[beautiful, fitted] "calvary" jacket (presumably a jacket to wear to a
crucifixion, albeit in lower case).

Lynne Hunter