weary~wary

Damien Hall D.Hall at KENT.AC.UK
Thu Dec 8 09:44:43 UTC 2011

David said:

'I've heard just a few minutes ago (and for at least the second time in a
week) the use of _weary_ where clearly the word should be _wary_.  The
speakers were being interviewed on NPR.  They seemed otherwise to be
well-spoken.'

Not saying it ain't so in these cases, but, in general, mightn't you get this impression from some speakers who raise /ae/ before /r/?  The raising usually only goes as far as [E] and not to [I:], but, as Wilson says, youneverknow.

Damien

--

Damien Hall

University of Kent (UK)
Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, 'Towards a New Linguistic Atlas of France'

English Language and Linguistics, School of European Culture and Languages