Jerkwater Town

Sat Dec 10 03:39:16 UTC 2011

Evan Morris wrote:

> An interesting and plausible alternate explanation for the phrase, at
> odds with the OED.
>
> http://verbmall.blogspot.com/2008/05/jerkwater-town.html

The Google News Archive apparently has a match for the article Michael
Sheehan mentions in the Baltimore Sun on March 7, 1941 that includes
the phrase "jerked water". The article should be available in
ProQuest, but I only have access to a limited set of ProQuest
newspapers, so I cannot retrieve it without paying a fee. Perhaps some
other list member could obtain the article. (I have not altered the
defective OCR results below, so others can use it for matching if
needed.)

Down The Spillway
Pay-Per-View -
The Sun - Mar 7, 1941
Every train crew carried a leather bucket on a long rope with which
they "jerked water" from the streams nlong their track. As locomo-
tives increased in ...

Here is the abstract information:

Down The Spillway
The Sun (1837-1985) - Baltimore, Md.