Bomb, Comb, Womb, Tomb

Sun Dec 11 02:47:04 UTC 2011

Dear Martin,
It;s complicated here...

Bomb:  Came in from French bombe or Spanish bomba in the 1500's, apparently with a short vowel, though there are spellings like boom around, and a pronunciation equal to bum was accepted in some forms of British English.

Tomb:  From a Norman French form toumbe, so it was taken in already witjh the vowel it has now.  This combination /u:m/ seems to be exempt from the Great Vowel Shift --room had the same vowel.

Comb and Womb once had the same vowel, an Old English long /A:/, the same vowel as stone, no, etc. (and they still do in Scots, cf. kame, wame).  Comb develops normally.  The /w/ before the vowel  raised it to an /o:/, the vowel in moon, do, already in Middle English, and the Great Vowel Shift then applied to it, giving you the same vowel as tomb in the end, just as moon, do have.

The spelling problems arise because we don't really have consistent ways of showing short from long vowels before /mb/, and Middle English didn't constently distinguish a long OPEN /O:/ which comb had from a long close /o:/ which womb had, and our orthography generally ignores the Great Vowel Shift.

The Oxford English Dictionary has all the details.

Yours,
Paul Johnston