_hep_ vs. _hip_, trivially revisited

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 11 13:41:21 UTC 2011

I don't have a cite to hand, but "Hep! Hep! Hep!" was indeed in use in
the U.S. (at least so spelled in print) during World War I. (I can't
say that I've ever seen it in British writing.)

It seems plausible because it's obviously a reduced form of "Left!
Left! Left!"  It presumably antedates 1918.

I became familiar with "Hep two three four!" as a kid - possibly from
watching _You'll Never Get Rich_, starring Phil Silvers as Sgt. Ernie
Bilko, who would fit right into Congress today.

JL