Problem with access to quotations in Oxford Reference Online

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 12 07:21:04 UTC 2011

It's possible that ORO has internal traps to catch large data sets to
prevent cyclical requests. One would expect such things to be caught
fast, as flags are often marked out. But if they are not, it could be
just a couple of lines buried in the middle of some heavy lifting and go
unnoticed for a long time. But, at least the response that they are
trying to solve the problem implies that this is not a "feature". Of
course, it could be two different arms working at cross-purposes.

I've had an interesting experience with the most recent couple of
incarnations of Google News. Search requests that produce more than 100
records lock out after the 10th screen--that is, once you've viewed the
first 100 records, the rest cannot be accessed. This seems to be
deliberate, as the problem was never fixed. But, of course, Google does
not respond to such trifling queries. There is an obvious work-around
that allows access to complete records. Instead of displaying the order
preferred by Google, arrange the data chronologically. This way, there
will be a definite cut-off date for the 100th record. Then, changing the
the opposite limit to that date will allow the next 100 records to come
up. This is only in Google News Archives and does not affect Google
Books or other searches.

     VS-)