daylight - verb, daylighted - adj

Tue Dec 27 08:59:13 UTC 2011

Not in the OED, but it is listed in The Century dictionary: an encyclopedic lexicon of the English language, Part 5 (http://ow.ly/8aReB) as rare.

adjective:

"Ailieford: a family history," W. Mitchell,  p. 77 (http://ow.ly/8aR7I)

-----
And after my fashion, I wandered away from the emergency of the moment to bring Mary Burnet here, and place her by Sybil's side — Mary Burnet, with her clear, daylighted face, her sober griefs and pleasures, her forethought and wise consideration of after-coming possibilities which, at their worst, must needs have been lighter than this misery into which Sibby had made so desperate a leap.
-----

verb

The general sense of the word is "to expose to daylight, the open" as found on Wiktionary (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/daylight#Verb).

1. The following 1898 citation looks like a verb, but it can be read either way, so it's probably best classified as an adjective.

"Electrical engineer," Volume 26, Electrical Engineer, 1898 (http://ow.ly/8aRmU)

-----
The "Moore artificially daylighted parlor," as it is popularly called, commands the attention of the public in a way that none of these previous vacuum tube exhibits did, for the reason that this illustration of its domestic application...
-----

2. Among the many hits in Google Books, is one in the Congressional Record of 1916 (it's not the earliest):

Congressional edition, Volume 6993, U.S. G.P.O., 1916, p. 50 (http://ow.ly/8aRLh)

-----
As far as possible, all cuts will be taken out to grade on the lower side, or "daylighted," as it is frequently called.
-----

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA