antedating of "fundamentalism"

James A. Landau <JJJRLandau@netscape.com> JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Tue Dec 27 15:40:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:21:56  "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:

>But corporations are people too, according to the fundamentalists in
>the Supreme Court!  Will corporations like Google now try to argue
>out of both sides of their mouths, that in certain arenas
>corporations are not people, but in others, such as the right to give
>unlimited donations to political candidates, they are?

MWCD11 gives a date of 1922 for "fundamentalism" with "fundamentalist" as an undated run-on entry.  (I don't have access to the OED)

According to Wikipedia, article "Corporate personhood",

"The Supreme Court of the United States (Dartmouth College v. Woodward, 1819), recognized corporations as having the same rights as natural persons to contract and to enforce contracts. In Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad, 118 U.S. 394 (1886), an insertion into the decision's headnotes by the clerk, J.C. Bancroft Davis, led many to believe the Supreme Court had recognized corporations as persons for the purposes of the Fourteenth Amendment.[1][2]"

     - James A. Landau