_haystacking_, _haystack_, v. (not in dictionaries)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 27 19:23:23 UTC 2011

It sounds like it could be or could become a term of art in
crime/detective novels or in spy novels. It's not merely the ordinary
misdirection. The most common current association appears to be with the
Friday Document Dumps (see under "White House"). But there are uses,

1)

http://goo.gl/PzVyH
http://goo.gl/jTLTN
> Here's what's at the root of that problem: I call it "social media
> haystacking."
> That's the act of adding social media activities to an already full
> schedule and then beginning to slowly but surely resent social media
> as yet "another thing you have to do." Women entrepreneurs are
> particularly susceptible to this pitfall because we usually have 90
> other things we already "have to" do.

2)

http://goo.gl/Ig6La
http://goo.gl/CR3kx
> Spectral broadening or `haystacking' is the process whereby the
> turbulent, time-
> varying inhomogeneities in the flow scatter tonal sound fields, which
> decreases
> the level of the incident tone, but increases the broadband level
> around the
> frequency of the tone. The scattering process is modelled
> analytically, using
> high-frequency asymptotic methods and a weak-scattering assumption.

3)
http://goo.gl/fw4rl
> Malkiel & Buffett Agree On Haystacking!
> 05-03-2004, 2:49 AM

which redirects to:

http://goo.gl/ABMNB
> Are you looking for the next Warren Buffett, the extraordinary
> investor and chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc.?
> As the Plato of efficient markets, Burton Malkiel discourages
> investors from searching, and says most would be better off in
> broad-based index mutual funds than single stocks or actively managed
> mutual funds.
> The Princeton University economics professor, Vanguard group director
> and author of the classic ``A Random Walk Down Wall Street'' --
> originally published 31 years ago and selling more than 1 million
> copies -- says once you take the index route, costs become more
> important than security or fund selection in enhancing performance.
> Costs matter because Malkiel and other market savants predict modest
> market returns for the next decade. Since your net return is what you
> keep after investment expenses and taxes, the lower the cost, the more
> you can build your wealth.

     VS-)