conditional Inuit

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 28 22:02:38 UTC 2011

On Dec 28, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Neal Whitman wrote:

> A conditional and its inverse are not logically equivalent.
>
> Neal

Ah, but Victor wrote "may not have", i.e. from "if p then q" we can infer not "if not-p then not-q" but rather "if p then maybe not-p", and even the stronger version ("if not-p then not-q") is generally admitted as an "invited inference" although of course not as a *logical* inference.  And Victor wasn't claiming logical equivalence here, as far as I can tell.

LH