Youneverknow.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 1 08:20:26 UTC 2011

I was completely unfamiliar with the phrase, _ticket to ride_, until
the heyday of The Beatles, at which time I simply accepted it as
merely some obscure Briticism that may or may not have had a literal
meaning.

One day not long, as I'm combing iTunes for material by Texas
bluesmen, I come across "Texas Blues," released in 1951, by the Texas
bluesman, Charles "Good-Time Charlie" Brown, who once held a day-job
as a high-school chemistry teacher. IAC, as I'm listening to the song,
which has to do with returning to Texas from California, I hear:

My days of care
Are behind me
I've got my _ticket to ride_
And from now on