Proverb: omlets are not made without breaking eggs (antedating 1796 May)

Fri Feb 4 18:45:49 UTC 2011

Many thanks to Jesse Sheidlower for the kind comment, and thanks to
Charlie and others on this thread.

The 1796 article in Walker's Hibernian magazine is about the capture
of the Frenchman François de Charette who was involved in the Revolt
in the Vendée. Charette is the speaker who is using the proverb. I
believe that the magazine account is translating his remark from
French to English.

Another translation of the words uttered by Charette is given in the
"Monthly Magazine or British Register" a month earlier in April 1796:

Cite: 1796 April, Monthly Magazine or British Register, Deaths Abroad,
Page 248, Printed for R. Phillips. (Google Books full view)

They said to him, you have made us lose a great many men. "Ah! One
cannot make pancakes without breaking eggs."

http://books.google.com/books?id=rdvlAAAAMAAJ&q=eggs#v=snippet&

The use of "pancakes" instead of "omlets" is consistent with an  early
definition given in the OED for omelette:

1611 R. Cotgrave Dict. French & Eng. Tongues,   Omelette [v.r.
Haumelotte, Homelette], an Omelet, or Pancake of egges.

There are other later instances of the proverb in English that use the
term pancakes.

In The Quote Verifier Ralph Keyes presents French, Spanish and Italian
versions of the proverb. It is sometimes attributed to Robespierre (as
you note) and Napoleon.

(While preparing this comment I see others have covered similar material)
Garson