Proverb: omlets are not made without breaking eggs (antedating 1796 May)

Sun Feb 6 01:14:56 UTC 2011

Many thanks to Stephen for the pancake version of the proverb; to Ken
and Victor for the wonderful early instances of the French version; to
Larry and Paul for the translations; to Jon for the anti-proverb; and
to Joel for examining the long s typography.
Garson