radio

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 6 08:02:49 UTC 2011

Two pieces of conservative radio gems:

Earlier in the week, in a broadcast repeated today, Rush Limbaugh
extended the term "democrat uprising" to the events in Egypt. Such a
slip-up was inevitable, with the long-term concerted effort by some
Republicans and conservative commentators to pretend that "Democratic
Party" is an incorrect expression. Limbaugh did not hesitate or
self-correct, although he did use "democratic uprising" in several
subsequent sentences.

Somewhat later--likely on a Hannity re-broadcast--two people were
"debating" the relative merits of Islamic law. After one speaker
suggested that his opponent was "angry", the other produced an angry
tirade in response. "Don't you dare to diff... Don't you differentiate
between anger and passion! I'm passionate about things that I am talking
about!" Notwithstanding the tautology in the last sentence, the one
before it contains an interesting use of "differentiate" that means
exactly the opposite of what it normally means. [A considerable period
of time passed since I heard the clip before
I committed it to writing, so it may vary slightly in the false start
and in the last bit, but the middle sentence is reported accurately.
There was a false start and the last bit is substantially accurate, but
I can't vouch for the exactness of those parts of the statement.]

     VS-)