UKer

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Sun Feb 6 22:49:04 UTC 2011

I use it a lot in my Twitter stream because (a) it's short, (b) 'Brit' is
not unproblematic, (c) there's not any really good alternative. (I use USer
for the same reason.)

I've never heard it pronounced, and when I pronounce it to myself it's
you-kay-er.

Lynne

--On Friday, February 4, 2011 11:51 -0500 Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> Last summer I reported "USer" ("you-esser") used by people too squeamish
> to say American. Now I find a parallel "UKer" :
>
> Typical:
>
> 2009
> http://perezhilton.com/2009-09-15-no-maniston-spending-time-with-john-may
> er : Uker ? and calling a scottish person british is like calling someone
> from new york a texan YOU DUMB FUCK
>
> 2010 http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/40382908.html : For
> non-UKers, the Brit Awards are pretty much our version of the Grammys.
>
> JL

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
Director of English Language and Linguistics
School of English
Arts B348
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QN