that needs painted

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 7 00:28:25 UTC 2011

At 6:04 PM -0500 2/6/11, Wilson Gray wrote:
>This is also a feature of *Northeast*-Pennsylvania English.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Pennsylvania_English
>
>'With respect to the phenomenon of "positive anymore", Northeast
>Pennsylvania English patterns 'with the Midland rather than the North:
>sentences like "Cars are sure expensive anymore" and "It's 'hard to
>find a job anymore" are grammatical here, but not in the North.[13] A
>similar result is found 'with sentences like "The car needs washed" or
>"The floor needs swept": these are grammatical in 'Northeast
>Pennsylvania as in the Midland, but not in the North.[14]'
>
>After reading the article cited above, Wilson decides to mess with his
>wife, Barbara, a native of Wilkes-Barre, located in the Poconos in
>"NEPA" and the "capital" of the Great Wyoming Valley of the
>Susquehanna River.
>
>W. Cars are sure expensive, anymore.
>B.  I know! Remember? We had to add $2K to the budget in order to
>buy *our* car!
>W. BTW, the car needs washed.
>B.  Yeah, that's true. Eddie [her brother] says that we should have
>had it washed four times, by      now.
>W. It's a good thing that we're retired! It's hard to find a job, anymore.

Actually, "It's easy to find yourself unemployed anymore" would be a
better diagnostic for positive "anymore".  Your statement above is
widely accepted (on grammatical rather than economic grounds) by
speakers outside the relevant variety, given the "hard".   Of course
your first datum is restricted to positive "anymore" speakers in any
case.

LH