FIFA thinks snoods could be a danger to players' necks

Damien Hall damien.hall at YORK.AC.UK
Mon Feb 7 10:47:27 UTC 2011

Victor said about the modern supplementary meaning of 'snood':

'But it's not a neckerchief. It's more like a tube of stretchy fabric (neck
gaiter), somewhat resembling headgear worn by mostly young female joggers
(although also by some undetermined number of males and nonjoggers) back in
the 1990s.'

Actually, Wilson is right: the neckerchief-looking object in the photo at
my link

http://j.mp/UKSnood

_is_ what was referred to as a 'snood' in 1980s UK New Romantic fashion. It
was definitely something that looked draped (I don't know whether they were
actually loose tubes of fabric, or draped expanses of fabric attached
behind the neck - I was too young to have one). What was a 'snood' at that
time didn't stretch and cling to the neck, as the most recent referent of
'snood' as neckwear seems to do.

Damien

--
Damien Hall

Accent and Identity on the Scottish-English Border
Department of Language and Linguistic Science, University of York

Tel. +44 (0)1904 322665
Fax  +44 (0)1904 322673

http://www.york.ac.uk/res/aiseb
http://www.york.ac.uk/language/staff/academic-research/damien-hall/
http://www.york.ac.uk/hrc/

Times Higher Education University of the Year 2010

DISCLAIMER: http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm