that needs painted

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 7 15:19:16 UTC 2011

There was an interesting, if ultimately unconvincing, paper by Dan
Brassil at the Baltimore LSA meeting in 2010 analyzing "needs washed"
as an Appalachian variety of the middle ("The bread cuts easily",
"Shakespeare doesn't translate well", "The cars are selling like
hotcakes"). Neal Whitman discussed the paper and the construction at
his Literal-Minded blog under the heading "Special Needs"; cf.
http://literalminded.wordpress.com/2010/01/29/special-needs/ (and the

LH