awe-dropping at upodn.com

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 7 23:39:39 UTC 2011

Upodn.com has a nice phonetic converter for IPA.  I put in the following "awe" words:

cost lost boss moss awe awesome awkward law lawn dawn shawn applause clause taught laundry launch caught pawn jaw pause talk walk chalk

and got the following phonetic conversion

kɑst lɒst bɒs mɒs ɑ ɑsəm ɑkwərd lɑ lɒn dɒn ʃɒn əplɒz klɒz tɒt lɒndri lɒntʃ kɑt pɒn dʒɒ pɒz tɒk wɑk tʃɑk

Which down't appear correctly as paste here so I'll give it in truespel
~~Kaast laust baus maus aa aasum aakwerd laa laun daun shaun applaus klaus taut laundree launch kaat paun jau paus tauk waak chaak~~

Incredibly it says that "ah" and "awe" are both pronounced "ah".  Not right.

My take is that because there is no useful phonetic notation for English, pronunciation is left to vary rather than be nailed down as a standard pronunciation.

Tom Zurinskas, from Conn 20 yrs, then Tenn 3, NJ 33, now FL 8.
Free English-based phonetic converter, URL and text , at truespel.com