franchise

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 8 20:43:11 UTC 2011

This is just a stray opinion, but, I believe, one should look at the
pattern. There have been quite a few terms that originated "in
Hollywood" or, more broadly, from film-making and film-distribution
businesses. Some of them spread right away, while others were hidden
from public view for years before catching on. It was Hollywood
sausage-making at its finest. I believe, we've had a number of terms
discussed here. And the 1930s would have been the right time for many of
them to appear in public (the terms, I mean) for the first time. Those
that caught on got a listing, others had to wait their turn. It seem
that franchise might have been one of the latter, as the context is the
same, not just the meaning. So the term "franchise" may well have been a
part of studio jargon since the early 1930s, but was not exposed until
much later. So the 1936 cite is not so much an outlier as it is rare
case of sausage-making exposure.

I suppose, it's only a theory. But it's a type of theory (context,
context, context!) that I've largely stuck to since I started posting
here. (Does anyone recall "leathernecks"?)

VS-)