franchise

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 8 21:04:24 UTC 2011

Point taken, Victor. But remember that "leatherneck" originated in a far
more isolated subculture (British naval circles) at a time when the
mainstream media (books and periodicals) had little interest in its
linguistic minutiae. Hollywood since the '20s, however, has never been shy
about communicating with the outside world, and its business jargon and
attitudes have been reported and caricatured in billlions of words since
then.

So I think if the contemporary sense of  "franchise" had had any subcultural
currency 75 years ago (except by accident in one or two brains)  the
findable exx. would be many and unmistakable.  We'd then be hypothesizing
whether the usage in question had not originated in the days of Griffith.

Actually, I'm glad I finally looked the word up. This discussion raises some
basic theoretical issues about the limits of lexicography, diachronic and
otherwise.  (Lurking whippersnappers: how many can YOU find?)

JL